Friday, May 15, 2009

Signs of Encroaching Middle Age

The signs of encroaching middle age are many and varied. Today we discuss exercise and entertainment.

In my youth, I used to run, and run, and run. I could do 5 miles in 27 to 30 minutes, without really pushing, and be breathing normally 30 seconds after I finished. Nowadays, I walk, and the concept of stacking 6 minute miles end to end to end is completely foreign. Hell, the very concept of breaking a 6 minute mile is foreign.

And, when I was getting ready to go, I said to myself, "Ooh, don't forget your Walkman." Walkman... WALKMAN? Jeebus, old man, when was the last time you used a Walkman (a real one, you know, with cassette tapes, 'cause that's what flashed into my head as I asked the question), 1995? And yesterday, when I was going to bed, I thought to myself, "Don't forget to turn of the VCR." VCR? Dude, that's DVD player.

No comments:

Post a Comment